What about Common Core?
There is much in the news about the Common Core Standards. NCCS is registered with the state of Maryland as a church-exempt school. We set our own academic standards which surpass current state requirements for graduation. Any text or literature used at New Covenant has been approved by our curriculum committee. We have chosen to be an independent school, separate from the mandates of our local or federal government and under the authority of the Session of New Covenant Pesbyterian Church and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Do New Covenant children wear uniforms?
Students who attend New Covenant wear uniforms. Our written uniform policy includes a daily uniform of white or maroon shirts and navy pants, shorts, skirts, skorts, or jumpers for the Grammar School. Upper School students wear a daily uniform of maroon shirts and khaki pants, shorts, or skirts. Both campuses require a Chapel uniform once a week. On Chapel days, Grammar School boys wear button-down, white shirts, navy pants, and school ties. Upper School boys wear button-down shirts, kahki pants and Upper School plaid ties. Plaid jumpers (from Flynn and O’Hara) and white blouses are required for Grammar School girls on Chapel day. Upper School girls wear a white blouse and plaid skirt (also from Flynn and O’Hara).
What are the class sizes at New Covenant Christian School?
We strive for a class size of 18 in each Grammar school class. We have one class for each grade. Upper school classes are no larger than 23 students.
Is New Covenant open only to Christian families?
No. While we are a Christian school and we do teach children from a strong Christian perspective, we do not require the parents of our students to be Christians. We simply ask that they understand and support our curriculum and Statement of Faith.
Are you licensed or accredited by any organizations?
- New Covenant Christian School is registered with the State as a church-exempt school.
- We are members of the Association of Classical Christian Schools and the Association of Christian Schools International.
- Our Extended Care program (ECP) and our Preschool come under the jurisdiction of the Maryland Child Care Administration and must adhere to its established guidelines.
- Accreditation requires a full K-12 program. Now that we have reached our goal of a full K-12 program, we can begin the lengthy accreditation process.
What are your hours?
- Our kindergarten class meets from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. We offer a full day kindergarten option from 8:30-3:00 p.m.
- Grades one through six meet from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Students may be dropped off between 8:10 a.m. and 8:30 a.m.
- Upper School homeroom begins at 7:30 a.m., but students begin arriving at 7:15 a.m. School ends at 2:40 p.m. We offer free morning child care for grammar school students who have Upper School siblings.
- We offer before and after school care for our grammar school students and after school care at the upper school.